Where OT students and practioners can manage the trials of mental health, cognitive dysfunction and aging with dignity and grace.
Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Vapors
For most of us our lives are so full of activity and we have massive amounts of input on a daily basis. I think we forget to relax and enjoy simple gifts we are given, often dissipating our talents and discounting the effects we can have on those around us. Not really acknowleding our time here is fleeting. One of my patients had a very interesting way to deal with his own mortality. We were addressing his transfer skills, starting with the act of moving from a sit-stand position. He is a very stately gentlemen, stands around 6'2 and commands attention when he speaks. However, now he needs the assistance from another person just to maintain his balance. This activity tires him quickly and we practice a few times. He states" I'm tired of sitting and I'm tired of standing" so I ask "What exactly would you like to do" of course I'm thinking he will say lie down. He is silent for a second and looks at me and says very matter of factly "I guess I should just vaporize".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. Once your comment has been reviewed and determined to be acceptable it will be published. Thank you.